How to Spot a Fad Diet from a Mile Away
June 07, 2018
As a company founded by Professional Nutritionists (Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, to be exact), you often hear us shouting from the rooftops “No Fad Diets!” We are constantly inundated with news of the latest “magic bullet” in dieting—intensive programs that are most often extremely limiting, restrict you to one or two major food groups, and are supposed to miraculously improve your weight and energy levels. However, the majority of these programs are unsustainable, unhealthy, and usually do not result in long-term weight loss or health benefits. In fact, they’re most likely doing more harm than good.
Here are a few tips for spotting a fad diet:
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
- Promotes “magic” foods—maybe it’s a special pill, powder, herbs, cleanse, detox—these are usually gimmicks and do not result in sustainable healthy weight loss.
- Usually requires cutting out large food groups, like fat or carbs. Yikes! Your body needs macronutrients to thrive, and cutting out core macronutrients found in the Zing Bar Vitality Triangle is not a good way to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
- Skipping meals or replacing meals with special drinks. This often means you are not getting the nutrition you need to support your health.
- Very restrictive diets that require you to drastically cut back on calories. These diets promise fast results, but our bodies aren’t designed to lose weight in this way. Most people regain the weight they lost once they stop the diet plus more in a boomerang effect. Not to mention they are famished during the course of the diet…
- If it contains the word “diet,” reconsider!
So, what am I to do instead, you ask? In a word, nutrition! When you refuel with whole, minimally-processed foods, you’ll feel full, satisfied, and maintain energy levels. Humans need each macronutrient to thrive. High protein, good carbs and good fats are the building blocks of life and should be eaten in every snack and meal. Eating high protein, good carbs and good fats throughout the day keeps your blood sugar and energy levels stable, so that you can avoid slumps and sugar cravings.
Now that you know how to spot a fad diet, be prepared to lace up your running shoes and sprint in the opposite direction when you see one! Better yet, run into your local retailer that sells Zing Bars for the vitality you need to get you through your day!
Need a fad-free Vitality Boost? Visit www.zingbars.com and place an order—we’ll help you get started with a 20% discount using the promo code SAYNO2DIETS at checkout! Good through 6/14!